- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk (1 cup 2% + 1 cup half & half)
- 2 cups chicken stock (2-1/4 cups water + bullion cube)
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets
- 1 cup cut carrots
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
Preparation (5 mins)
Cut onions, celery, broccoli, and carrots.
Cooking (~ 40mins)
- Bring chicken stock to boil
- (While waiting for Step 1) Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion in hot butter until translucent, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- After chicken stock has been brought to a boil, add the onions, celery, broccoli, and carrots. Cover, and let simmer over med-low heat for 20 minutes.
- (After 15 minutes of waiting from step 3) Melt 1/4 cup of butter in large sauce pan, then add flour over medium-low heat; cook until flour loses it’s granular texture, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk if necessary to keep the flour from burning, ~ 3 minutes.
- Gradually pour milk into flour mix while whisking constantly;
- Pour milk\flour mix into stock. Cook 5 minutes over low heat (to prevent curdling)
- Slowly add cheese into vegetable mixture in batches; stir to melt the cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste; add no more cheese if desired. (up to 1/2cup)